Thursday 29 December 2016

Holiday painting update 2: Rafm goblin!

As I said in my last post, over the holidays I mainly wanted to paint things that I felt like painting rather than things I thought I ought to paint. That meant a recent purchase in this case. While I was at Dragonmeet, I picked up some Rafm fantasy models from Oakbound Games, who sell them in the UK. I used to have a few of these figures back in the early-mid 90s, but they're not very common or well-known over here. They're pretty charming, though. Check out the Goblin Lord on Giant Bird.




I mainly got him for the mount, which I think is pretty awesome. I mostly painted the model using my traditional speed-painting technique. I primed the mount and rider separately, highlighted them up to white and then added colour with washes and subsequent highlights. I thought a model this extravagant needed a vibrant, colourful paint scheme and I'm pretty happy with it. 

I like this model and I am sure I'll find some use for it as a character in D&D games or similar. The only thing I don't like about the pack is that the two mounts and riders are identical. I think I'll use the other one as a post-apocalyptic mount and put a different rider on it. 

This model took two sessions; I did the colours of the mount on Christmas day itself nad the rider on Boxing Day. It could do with a smidge more detail, but I'm satisfied overall. 

No comments:

Post a Comment