Monday 3 March 2014

Two-dollar monster challenge: the rules!

OK, so here's the part where you come in!

In the spirit of my previous post, I want to see the monsters you create from cheap toys and junk. I am therefore holding a contest: THE TWO-DOLLAR MONSTER CHALLENGE! There will be fabulous prizes for the winners! Well, prizes anyway. I think you'll like 'em.

Here's how to play:

  • Get yourself a cheap toy monster. I'm not going to set a hard price limit, but we're looking for things that cost no more than a few dollars/pounds/whatever. 
  • Modify it in any way you desire. Again, proper advanced modelling with loads of spare kit parts is probably outside the scope of this project, but on the other hand what the hell. 
  • Take a photograph of the model. If you've messed with it, take a before/after photo. If you can put a regular 28mm scale figure next to it to show how big it is, that would be great. 
  • Write a description of the monster. What is it? Where did it come from? What's it do? All that stuff. 
  • Stat the monster for your favourite RPG. This could be anything -- D&D, Call of Cthulhu, Esoterrorists, World of Darkness, FATE, Synnibarr, your own homebrew system, whatever. Anything goes. 
  • Email the description, photos and stats to me at gonzohistory AT gmail. If you can, include info on where you got the figure, how much it cost, etc., so that people who want to can get one of their own.
  • Enter more than once if you want to, but you can only win once. 
  • If you have a link to your blog or site that you want included in your entry, just say so!
Send your entries to me by Friday, March 21st! I and my panel of celebrity judges, who will be announced as soon as I actually have some, will pick our favourites. The three top entrants will each receive an official Gonzo History Gaming prize pack full of ... I dunno, stuff. Toys, models, smelly old fantasy paperbacks, dice ... whatever we have that we think you might enjoy. All entries will be posted on the blog; I'm hoping the final results will be up the following Friday, March 28th.

Sound like fun? Dig out those old toys and get cracking.

Here are a few more photos that I took for the previous post but didn't use, featuring charity shop or Poundland toys and Torchy the Torchbearer. Who is going back on the painting table, because his nose looks awful.

Cybermats: I got a pack of like 20 for £4 in the toy section at TK Maxx.
This dragon's expression seems familiar.
Another Poundland toy; I think it came together with the one above.


All of these creepy-crawlies came in a single pack from Poundland at Halloween (with lots more).
The maggots are all squishy and gross. 
This is part of the same toyline as the ape monster and likewise cost £1.
My assumption is it was designed by a 10-year-old who'd had a lot of cough syrup.
It's like a crystal blue dimetrodon with a buzzsaw for a fin?
I got it from the 10p toy basket at the Salvation Army shop.
Anyway, I look forward to seeing your entries!

No comments:

Post a Comment